Insect pests cause huge economic loss to crops across the globe affecting total food production which is essential to meet the demands of growing human population. Avoiding such loss is of the immediate concern for all and this is achievable through Integrated Pest Management (IPM).
This course on IPM will cover the basics of insects and their dominance in nature, insects as pests, reasons for their outbreak resulting in crop loss, types of pests, and mode of surveillance, sampling methods and economic damage levels of pest populations. The course also explains about the principles and concepts of pest management and different components of IPM: legal, ecological, physical, cultural, mechanical, behavioral, biological, botanical, chemical and biotechnological approaches.
This course also talks on Integration of different IPM tactics, their pros and cons and Implementation of AESA - Agro-ecosystem Analysis in pest management. Lastly, successful IPM cases in Cereals (Paddy), Commercial Crops (Cotton, Sugarcane), Pulses (Redgram, Soybean), Oilseed Crop (Groundnut), Vegetable Crops (Cabbage, Tomato) and Fruit Crops (Mango, Grapes) will be discussed.
Who should attend IPM course?
- Students of Agricultural Universities
- Faculty of SAU
- Agriculture Scientists in ARS
- NGOs in Agriculture
- Field Officers of Department of Agriculture / Horticulture
- KVK Subject Matter Specialist in Crop Protection
- Progressive Farmers/ Farming Community
|Pest, definition and categories||IPM integration tactics|
|Principles of pest management||Agro-ecosystem analysis|
|Components of IPM||Successful IPM cases|
At the end of the course, a participant should know about
- Pest survey, surveillance and methods of sampling
- Ecological management of pests
- Pest management by modifying insect development and behavior
- Pest management through innovative approaches
- Pros and cons of different IPM techniques and their integration
- Successful IPM cases
Qualifying students will be given certificates based on their involvement and performance. Participation certificate and Competency certificate will be issued by Center for Development of Technical Education, IIT Kanpur and Commonwealth of Learning (COL), Canada.